The countdown is getting closer and closer to January 30th and I’ve just recently faced the fact that I really need to start packing. In this post I will try to list all the items I’m bringing with me for half a year in Amsterdam.
First things first: I am a notorious overpacker, and always bring a bunch of items I never wear. This trait makes packing a hell of a challenge! Aside from that, I feel like Amsterdam is a very fashionable place – and so am I. I guess it will be extremely hard to stay under 23kg with all the outfits I have in mind.
I will go to Amsterdam with my big old suitcase, a carry-on (that will be filled with shoes) and one personal item only.
But what about summer clothing? Well, my plan is to set up a box of summer clothing now and then have my family mail it to me later. That or I’ll try to get a cheap flight deal and get it myself.
Anyways, I tried cutting it down to my most essential items and clothing I will really wear.
Here’s my list on what I’m bringing for half a year in Amsterdam:
- Tops: 4 knit sweaters, 2 turtlenecks (literally the most worn item in my closet), 1 nice blouse (I actually hate wearing blouses but I’m bringing one just in case I have to look formal at some point), 4 T-shirts, 2 knit cardigans
- Bottoms: 3 pairs of black pants (Honestly, I wear black pants 99% of the time)
- Jackets: my big ol’ Canada Goose parka, my light Moncler down jacket, my black formal coat
- Underwear: I’m definitely not going to list every single undergarment I’m bringing with me here. But I’m bringing a lot.
- Hosiery: lots of thicc socks and some sneaker socks (cold around the ankle but so fashionable), 2 pairs of black tights (for a night-out yay)
Clothing for a Night Out
- Dresses: 1 nice short dress
- Tops: 1 long sleeve bodysuit, 2 short sleeve bodysuits, 2 nice tops
- Dresses: 3 day dresses
- Tops: 3 crop tops, 3 summer tops
- Bottoms: 2 shorts, 2 skirts, 2 flowy summer pants
- 1 bikini (Holland has a beach after all, duh)
- Winter stuff: my big scarf, a regular beanie, gloves
- Some basic jewellery: dainty necklace, bracelets, my watch
- Purses: Longchamp Le Pliage, Furla Metropolis shoulder bag, small wallet
- Boots: big Zara boots with pearls, Uggs
- Trainers: Nike Free trainers
- my beloved Birkenstock sandals
- flip flops (even though I might bring these in winter already and use them at my dorm)
- Medication: birth control, vitamins (especially Vitamin C as this boosts your immune system!), band-aids, some pain meds and hangover remedies
- Dental stuff: my electric toothbrush + replacement heads, toothpaste
- Nivea cream (my all-time favorite for all body parts!)
- Skin Care Routine: face wash (fresh soy flace cleanser), face cream (Bepanthenol),
- Hair care: full size shampoo + conditioner (this might even last me for 6 months as I only have to wash my hair once a week, believe it or not), hair brush, straightener, curling wand, shower cap (Yes, I use this every single day, because of the fact that, well, I wash my hair only once a week)
- Make up bag: foundation, brow liner, masacara, eyelash curler, basic eye palette, bronzer, highlighter, nude lipstick, some basic brushes, tweezers, make up remover wipes
- Nail stuff: nail file, cuticle remover and a nude polish
- Personal hygiene stuff: tampons, pads, cotton pads, q-tips etc.
- Eye stuff: contact lenses, lens solution, lens case, glasses
- some trash bags (not only for trash but also to store things in when traveling)
- ringbinder with all important documents
- pencilcase: some pens, highlighters
- USB flash drive
- MacBook + charger
- iPhone chargers
- one of these pop-up laundry bags
Pro Tip: Get some of these vacuum bags! Yes, the ones you see on TV! They are sooo helpful when it comes to packing. Especially winter clothing and heavy knits take up so much space on the suitcase. When you put them in the vacuum bags they only take up about a third of the initially required space.
Anyway, that’s it for now. Wow, that list sure is long and my suitcase sure will explode. It was really hard to cut down my necessities and not weigh in heavier than 23kg.
I will revise this list when my journey has ended and let you know which items I could have skipped and what I should have brought!
Any recommendations on things I forgot and should add to this list?